Shensation Mir

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Right, I'm after a small team to put together ShenMir, which will be directly competing with the European version of mir.

Those of you who don't know me, I am the founder of Shensation.com. I recently rolled out the ShenSoma project, which is a private soma server that gets around 200 simultaneous connections at peak hours. It averages around 80-100 users at any given time. We're the only real competition with the European version and we blow it out of the water.

I'm really looking for people that know what they're doing and can do this with little to no supervision from me. I'm looking for the big guys on LOMCN really, we have the best working on Soma and I won't settle for less on mir.

This is a chance to be part of something big, and as you can see from my personal experience I'm not in it for the short term. Shensation has been up over a year, Soma has been up around 4 months now, and is staying around. I expect the same longevity from mir.

In terms of where I want the game to be, it needs to be practically hole-free in terms of copyright, or as near as possible. The gameplay I don't really want to veer from the European style, it's more giving people the option to have a stable and reliable place to play the game they love. One of our staff members is Slither, the ex GameMaster for GNO's Soma. That gave us good grounding for reliability, we don't have anyone like that for mir so it really needs to be proven through the team and through the updates.

Kekekeke

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 8, 2006
Now this should be interesting - played the ShenSoma was actually surprised with it!

/CE.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Any information on hosting etc and what files your looking at using. If your going to compete with euro and expect euros old usercounts your going to need a fairly decent system.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Any information on hosting etc and what files your looking at using. If your going to compete with euro and expect euros old usercounts your going to need a fairly decent system.

We host on 100mbit DC dedi servers in the UK. If the loads can't handle it we can upgrade.

Probably the closest open source project that we don't have to kiss arse for, we need to try and avoid conflict with WEMADE as much as possible, we avoid this with soma due to the company having liqudised and GNO not having paid royalties in over a year. That isn't quite the same for mir.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Can't see you having open source tbh unless td in kind enough to release his as fixing the DM2 source to what tds file have would take a while unless you have a team of coders. I'd say use unleashed but i have it no where near complete, best bet is TDs as its probably the most advanced and stable set out.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Can't see you having open source tbh unless td in kind enough to release his as fixing the DM2 source to what tds file have would take a while unless you have a team of coders. I'd say use unleashed but i have it no where near complete, best bet is TDs as its probably the most advanced and stable set out.

Ah, TheDeath? He plays Soma with us and helps us with the backend development for it. He's the reason our client is now so secure, lol.

Xander

Pantie Sniffer!
Developer
Oct 20, 2003
Sheffield
Yea thedeath has the most stable and upto date source for mir2. Nick started DM2 Kekekeke but stopped a while ago and the source he had is available to everyone here in the DM2 section.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Doesn't TD currently work on RageZone though?

I'm not really that up to date anymore, who are the main servers around?

Akuma

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 6, 2006
Doesn't TD currently work on RageZone though?

I'm not really that up to date anymore, who are the main servers around?

all i know is mr he has about 200+players peak

VirUs

Omen_lom

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 29, 2006
wow i took alook at the soma page. soma dnt look as good as mir, but it looks awsome the way everything is set out.
I hope you get something similar set up for mir ;)

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Have spoken to TD, probably won't pursue this as there doesn't really seem to be viable market for the numbers we'd want to achieve and the results we would want.

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
There is a few reasons as to why your not getting the same interest with this project as you did with your Soma project.

1. First reason being you have mentioned you don't want to veer from the Euro theme, people don't want that with mir.

Sticking to the Euro theme worked ok on the Soma community as there isn't exactly alot you can do with Soma in terms of customizing the files, so that suited them fine. Mir on the other hand has an open source project, why would you want to stick with the Euro theme when you can create your OWN theme?

2. At the time you started your project Euro soma had basically hit rock bottom and people were wanting something else, you were basically their last hope.

Mir on the other hand has quite a strong community (Private + official) in comparison to Soma that is - nobody is waiting on a savior.

DavidShaw

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Nov 3, 2007
Soma is **** ... playing it is like trying to screw a 95 yr old lesbian without any foreplay ... UNCOMFORTABLE ...

Why not just take your soma server down and migrate all the players to a "Better Game" such as mir .. rather than update a game thats crap???

Just my opinion ^.^

Wond

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 24, 2004
IRELAND
Soma is **** ... playing it is like trying to screw a 95 yr old lesbian without any foreplay ... UNCOMFORTABLE ...

Why not just take your soma server down and migrate all the players to a "Better Game" such as mir .. rather than update a game thats crap???

Just my opinion ^.^

Soma is quite a good game when you get into it. I've been playing it on and off since RZ Soma, (3 years back?) And I quite like it.. I must say though leveling on it really is a grind.

I quite like PvP on it.. but its only a case of who trains their character more, there is no skill involved in it. Ok yes you can mix and match magic & melee attacks but lets face it, it takes a whole 10minutes of pvping to learn how to do that properly.

DavidShaw

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Nov 3, 2007
lol better yet ...

Rip all the Soma images to a client that plays with the DM2 Engine ...

Then youll have a decent version of Soma :P :P :P