Join Discord

SinGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Sep 29, 2010
Belgium
Hello,

I'm receiving emails from Steam and PayPal because someone is trying to access my accounts.

Since usernames and passwords aren't encrypted or anything for server owners, the only thing I can think about is that a server owner is trying to rob their players because the passwords they used are correct.

The servers I played last year are:
- Purgatory
- Galaxy
- Arcadia

If anyone else who played any of these servers is having the same issue, please share it so we can find out who is doing this.

UG45zYs.png
HizaPii.png
gvIp1ct.png

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
im so glad steam has that guard, i have my phone set up as an authenticator i would recommend you getting that aswell

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
I would suggest never using the same Usernames or Passwords for different servers.

But people can try login into accounts with Email addresses. So with that said I would also suggest having 2 different email's

SinGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Sep 29, 2010
Belgium

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
I've played far too many private servers to list them all but a few are:
arcadia
galaxy
chronicals
purgatory
Titans
UltraMir
DragonMir (think this one came out just after he tried getting my account)

I dont think it was Mir related though because they didnt go for my paypal or anything else, just steam
I dosd his IP for a few hours till he shut down his internet - had to get my revenge somehow

SinGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Sep 29, 2010
Belgium
I've played far too many private servers to list them all but a few are:
arcadia
galaxy
chronicals
purgatory
Titans
UltraMir
DragonMir (think this one came out just after he tried getting my account)

I dont think it was Mir related though because they didnt go for my paypal or anything else, just steam
I dosd his IP for a few hours till he shut down his internet - had to get my revenge somehow

I think it's Mir related because it's probably the only thing I do on my pc. The passwords are very easy to get for server owners.. It must be Mir.
Don't think DDOSing would help because (if he's smart enough) he would be using a vpn or anything like that.

Valhalla

Nexus Mir Developer
Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
I used to play alot of other games on steam so in my case its probably just someone attempting to get my account, idk it could be alot of things tbh

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Like daneo said, never use the same login credentials for mir servers as anything else. Change them up every time you play a new server.

azzi

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 16, 2005
I always have every password different, no matter what its for.

Better safe than sorry!

thedeath

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 26, 2003
funny part is: it wouldnt even be hard to include a key logger into a mir client exe
all the functionality of a key logger is the same as that of a mir client anyway (aka capturing key strokes, sending that data to server)
so in theory anyone can run a server and include a system to steal personal details of their players (welcome to private servers :p)

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
a) Are you sure the paypal email is genuine, there are countless scam emails about.

b) Are you sure your computer isn't compromised with a Trojan, keylogger or whatever ?

c) Pretty sure you can rule out Arcadia as unsafe. Scorpion's part of the fixtures and fittings, hardly likely he'd pursue such actions and his recent account system changes show he's keen on a/c security.

---------- Post Merged at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:16 PM ----------

funny part is: it wouldnt even be hard to include a key logger into a mir client exe
all the functionality of a key logger is the same as that of a mir client anyway (aka capturing key strokes, sending that data to server)
so in theory anyone can run a server and include a system to steal personal details of their players (welcome to private servers :p)

Indeed but you wouldn't need to because most server operators have access to the a/c database anyway.
Unless it uses a method of encryption of course.

Xandrah

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 11, 2012
Why on earth would you use the same passwords on a mir server as your personal accounts somewhere else?

I would try and not stick the blame on a server either, you most likely have a keylogger on your computer that has been downloaded with something else.
Run malwarebytes and do a rootkit scan.

Jest

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Indeed but you wouldn't need to because most server operators have access to the a/c database anyway.
Unless it uses a method of encryption of course.

He means logging other data in the background rather than your account details for the server. Logging into PP while your Mir client is open for example, despite having different passwords the data could be sent back to the server.

I wouldn't point the blame at a Mir server like others have said though. The IP address is associated with bots and hacking and it's probably why it was flagged up so easily.

SinGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Loyal Member
Sep 29, 2010
Belgium
a) Are you sure the paypal email is genuine, there are countless scam emails about.
Yes I am.

b) Are you sure your computer isn't compromised with a Trojan, keylogger or whatever ?
Yes, already did a complete scan.

c) Pretty sure you can rule out Arcadia as unsafe. Scorpion's part of the fixtures and fittings, hardly likely he'd pursue such actions and his recent account system changes show he's keen on a/c security.
I know it's probably not Scorpion but I just wanted to include it in the list.

I would try and not stick the blame on a server either, you most likely have a keylogger on your computer that has been downloaded with something else.
Run malwarebytes and do a rootkit scan.

What u think I just did? lol As i've said before, the only thing I do on my computer is Mir.

You can all believe what you want, call me what ever you want, I just wanted to warn others and see if anyone else has the same issue.
But hey, sorry for trying to help the community!

Toddwhite

More like Retodd
Golden Oldie
Jul 28, 2006
It was me! Mystery solved... On a serious note don't trust any server owner with same passwords you use for anything else :S

Lone

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 15, 2007
something else to consider would be if you have used either paypal/steam on a public wifi, I once saw a firefox plugin which you could install in a couple of clicks and it would start to capture all the devices connected to a network and give you the information you asked for. you had a run down of different check boxes you could just tick and start capturing information on. Paypal was one of them. This was during a network safety demonstration we had whilst I was working at a financial adviser firm.

As mentioned grab the steam mobile authenticator, you can never be too safe.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
You can all believe what you want, call me what ever you want, I just wanted to warn others and see if anyone else has the same issue.
But hey, sorry for trying to help the community!

I wasn't having a pop, I was trying to offer some constructive assistance.