Tax deduction %

F4LL3N_4NG3L

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2006
Liverpool
Can anyone tell how much % (per pound) is taken from wages within UK. I've looked it up but can't seem to find nout but charts which don't show what I'm doing for :(

Thanks in advance

Colonel

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 30, 2005
Newport S.Wales
works out like 1/3 of ur earnings is taxed.

the thing i do not understand is i go to college and to get EMA ur parents have to get paid less than a certain amount and because b4 tax my parents earn over this amount I'm not liable for EMA meaning i lose out on 30quid a week and i have to work then. but people with divorced parents self employed parents still get EMA, government is messed up.

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Every student should be allowed ema. The goverment and thier taxes take the piss just because of all the wars and fukin jobless bums with babys.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Wtf, where did my post on this go? It was the best explanation in the thread, and there was **** all wrong with it.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Basically, there are 3 teirs of tax 2007-2008 is 10%, 22% and 40%.
You have a "tax-free allowance" which is normally around 1800 for which you won't be charged tax at all. but his varies from person to person.
After your tax free allowance, and up to about £2200 you will be charged 10%
After that your earnings will be taxed at 22% up to about £36500
Anything over that will be charged at 40%

The actual amount you end up paying in total will depend on your earnings bracket, and your tax free allowance.

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
I dont have a job an all, but jesus christ how much do they steal off you, thats really over rated. I mean in all due fairness has anyone seen the tax payers money gone to a REALLY good use. I'm yet to see it to be honest.

JohnBarny

Known Cheater
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2003
Ya Mums
Its bull **** in my old job i was walking away with £290 a week after tax for working 45 hours but i did over time one week 65 hours and i ended up with around £350 baring in mind from 45-50 was time and 1/2 then after was double time.

Current job over time is cash in hand luckily, but our country robs us.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Well to name one thing the NHS, people in other countries pay a fortune for things we get at a fraction of hte cost. For example the cost of Braces in the US comes to around £900, in the UK its £189 on the NHS.

Colonel

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 30, 2005
Newport S.Wales
shocking the amount they take off you then they do stuff like put speed cameras on roads and speed bumps and then u damage ur car and have to pay fines like wtf government is fuked up

Floyd

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2004
I dont have a job an all, but jesus christ how much do they steal off you, thats really over rated. I mean in all due fairness has anyone seen the tax payers money gone to a REALLY good use. I'm yet to see it to be honest.

the same could be said for road tax 2,

how many roads do u kno of that r **** quality

most of birmingham is tbh. but thats another rant!!

Floyd

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2004
shocking the amount they take off you then they do stuff like put speed cameras on roads and speed bumps and then u damage ur car and have to pay fines like wtf government is fuked up

just noticed this lol, going on my point :)

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
Roads are ****ed tbh, everything nowadays is a "patch" job. I hate driving down a road and seeing the constantly changing texture of it where they have patched it up.

Speed camera's I dont care about, I don't normally speed anywhere they are used, and quite frankly, they are avoidable if your sensible, they are not a definate cost.

Speed bumps I hate, not because they "damage" your car or whatever, cos ive never had problems with em. The thing is, speed bumps are just ****ing useless in general. Sure they stop some retard doing 70mph down a school road, but they don't prevent that same moron accelerating like **** and slamming his brakes on between them, which is just as bad if not worse.

Floyd

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 2, 2004
Roads are ****ed tbh, everything nowadays is a "patch" job. I hate driving down a road and seeing the constantly changing texture of it where they have patched it up.

Speed camera's I dont care about, I don't normally speed anywhere they are used, and quite frankly, they are avoidable if your sensible, they are not a definate cost.

Speed bumps I hate, not because they "damage" your car or whatever, cos ive never had problems with em. The thing is, speed bumps are just ****ing useless in general. Sure they stop some retard doing 70mph down a school road, but they don't prevent that same moron accelerating like **** and slamming his brakes on between them, which is just as bad if not worse.

The Speed Bumps @ Fistral Beach did my Middle Box in, Dont go there if u have a 40/60 Drop with 13's on lol

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
There are other tax-free allowances like superannuation (pension payments).

It's very difficult to work out your own net pay accurately month to month without the correct free pay and tax tables. Then there is national insurance contributions.

To approximate use what Atom said:

if your tax code is 400 then add a 9 to make £4009 tax free per year, divide that by 12 or 52 (monthly or weekly paid) and deduct from gross taxable pay....
yes some payments are non taxable like expenses for what you have paid out and are getting refunded (this does not include mileage allowance usually - taxed at source via your payslip).

so gross taxable pay less free pay less non taxable payments (pension, etc.) = taxable pay.

Then use what atom said about %ages.

This won't be accurate and will also depend on if you are on a week/month 1 or cumulative tax code, previous earnings in the current tax year, etc....

I wrote a program to do this accurately once, was a lot of lines of coding lol

edit: hands cookie to RedDragonx :)

Last edited: