PC Shop Open?

Join Discord

Grim

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 24, 2004
urbanfox said:
But... what does any of that have to do with me.
Nothing. This thread is about you offering a service, to the users of this forum, yes? Myself, Konni and HunterrrrrrrrrrrrrR are just making people aware that they may face import/customs charges if they use said service. As long as it's marked as a gift and there's no way of them seeing that that is not the case (i.e. invoice, packing slip, etc) then there won't be any charge. You're offering a great service and it'd be a shame to see you get **** on all because someone wasn't aware of the possible charges that they may face when buying from you.

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Grim said:
Nothing. This thread is about you offering a service, to the users of this forum, yes? Myself, Konni and HunterrrrrrrrrrrrrR are just making people aware that they may face import/customs charges if they use said service. As long as it's marked as a gift and there's no way of them seeing that that is not the case (i.e. invoice, packing slip, etc) then there won't be any charge. You're offering a great service and it'd be a shame to see you get **** on all because someone wasn't aware of the possible charges that they may face when buying from you.

Hunterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's story is about them screwing him over shipping wise and him having to travel to another town.

I don't see how that applies to me since A) shipping is included and B) any shipping service I use will ship to London under 7 days.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
I hope your shop is up for a while m8, because although I am not considering upgrading or buying a computer tonight, I may in the future. A rough idea would be as follows:
  • Motherboard - I liked my old asrock and I'm looking for another one with both AGP and PCI-E possibly. Anything at least if I havn't decided my card is not good enough for any games out by that time.
  • RAM - I have 1GB of PC3200, do I need anything more? Is there any point/is it economical going for those knew PC4XXX ones?
  • Hard-drive - shamefully low of 40GB, I can't keep more than 3 DVD quality movies ondrive without feeling clogged up with all the rest of the clutter - definately need something in the range of 200GB-400GB.

I suppose you're not selling any other peripherals, besides processors, which I am assuming I can choose based on any quote you give me for a motherboard. My current celeron processor has to go because I play a lot of games. So anything with HT/Multicore and around 2-2.5ghz mark to keep the price a bit lower.

Thanks
Turin

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
The motherboard that meet's that criteria is the 939Dual-SATA2 from ASRock.

I would only go to 2GB of ram if you game A LOT and have/want a top of the line GFX card. As for the ram such as PC4000 etc, only if you want to overclock your ram.

Unless you want a 500GB harddrive (which I wouldn't recommend anyway, too much $$$ per GB) then you should probably just get the HDD in the UK from komplett or someone because the price here after me shipping it to you is not that much difference than over by you.

I'm really only selling CPU's, GFX cards, and ram. I might sell more, but it usually has to be a bundle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deal going soon:

X2 4400+ 2.2GHz 2x1MB Cache Dual Core - 250 pounds Shipped

Komplett.co.uk - 335 pounds + shipping

Last edited:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Do you think maybe I could buy that processor in the next, say two weeks, but keep it until I have all the other pieces ready? Or do you think I might as well just save up the whole lot before buying?

I dunno, I'm worried its a bit too much to just buy and not be able to use for a while, only for a better/value for money processor to come out. As for the mobo, I'll definately want to buy that. How much is it going for?

If you could convince me of a cheapish PCI-E gfx + mobo combo, so I can get rid of the crappy Fx5200 and Fujitsu-SD1381, then I might consider that too.

Thanks in adv,
Turin

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Turin said:
Do you think maybe I could buy that processor in the next, say two weeks, but keep it until I have all the other pieces ready? Or do you think I might as well just save up the whole lot before buying?

I dunno, I'm worried its a bit too much to just buy and not be able to use for a while, only for a better/value for money processor to come out
. As for the mobo, I'll definately want to buy that. How much is it going for?

If you could convince me of a cheapish PCI-E gfx + mobo combo, so I can get rid of the crappy Fx5200 and Fujitsu-SD1381, then I might consider that too.

Thanks in adv,
Turin
If by "that processor" you mean the 4400+ I just posted, then no, it's going to be gone within 2 days easy. It's a damn good deal, but don't worry, stuff comes up all the time. On occasion I will be able to do hold certain things. For example, that processor above, if you are 100% sure and I mean 100% sure that you want it, but say you'll have the money in a week instead of today then depending on the price of the component I can front the cost and hold it for you. This is on several conditions though. First, like the one I listed above, I have to have the money available to put up the cost upfront. Second, the member needs to be known here and not a 13 year old (no offense) and finally, I need SERIOUS assurance that the buyer has every intention to purchase the CPU by a certain date. ATM I'm holding something for a member here but that's also because the above criteria was met and I felt comfortable.

Socket AM2 from AMD is about 6-10 weeks away. The only difference between AM2 and 939 (AMD's current socket) is a slightly tweaked memory controller that makes a switch from DDR to DDR2. Is it great and fantastic and awesome! TO put it simply, NO.

I've owned every socket AMD has put out but I will NOT be buying AM2 anytime soon. This is the first time that AMD has not blown me away. AM2 is just the same old 939 processors with a slight speedbump at the top with DDR2. The performance is PATHETIC. A 939 system with DDR 400 performs the same or better than a AM2 system with DDR2 800....

My advice is invest in a decent 939 machine for several reasons.

1. You don't have to wait 2+ months
2. The performance is the same
3. AM2 is going to cost a lot more than 939
4. AM2 will not show anything decent (highly clocked CPU's) for a long time

So, one can buy a 939 system and be done with it, AM2 performance for cheap, or they spend hundred(s) of pounds more for AM2 with the only good part is that they ca
an upgrade their CPU in a year...

AM2 is also really only PCI-E, which means you got to dump your current videocard if it's AGP. With 939, you can a motherboard with AGP and PCI-E, so you can get a 939 CPU without emmediately having to upgrade to PCI-E.

Or................. You can go intel. Yes, I said Intel. Their current laptop CPU is called the Core Duo (basically a much better Pentium-M and dual core). It's a KICKASS CPU that if I had the money I would make it my MAIN machine. Only problem is the motherboard is limited and EXPENSIVE. A decent 939 motherboard is roughly 80 pounds. The best 939 motherboards are roughly 130-160 pounds. The Core Duo motherboard is 180 pounds... But, there's an upside.... the CPU's themselves can easily cost under 200 pounds AND they have low heat output and GREAT overclocking potential. A Core Duo setup is the BEST GAMING SETUP right now, PERIOD.

I found it at two places, ebuyer and a place called Micro Direct. I've never heard of Micro Direct, but it seems they're the only ones with the motherboard in stock ATM. It's also EXTREMELY CHEAP for a great board. In fact, I'm going to recommend this board for anyone who's looking to get an 939 board for cheap.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=10165&&source=Dealtime
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=102900&_LOC=UK

The ASRock board is great. I don't remember if the FX5200 is PCI or AGP, but if it's AGP then I'd recommend keeping it until you can get a nice PCI-E card.

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Blaminator said:
How much for a DFI LANPARTY UT RDX200 CF-DR?

You don't want it.

If you're going crossfire, then get the DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR. It has a much better south bridge and it has 2 16x PCI-E lanes rather than 2 8X on the RDX200. Problem is, it's about 150 pounds shipped. It's brand new so don't expect a price drop. OC UK has it for 176 pounds plus shipping.

If you can't afford that then get the DFI LANPARTY UT RDX200 CF-DR. 90 pounds shipped, could be gone tomorrow or same price for a month, I do not guarantee pricing will stay what the post says unless I say I guarantee it. Komplett has it for 155 pounds plus shipping.

If that's still too much, then I can get you a MSI crossfire board for 60 pounds, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:

HunterrrR

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2006
This is what i was getting at ...

You claim to sell something alot cheap, so therefor more people would buy from you. I have no doughts that you are cheaper as $ is lower than the pounds but we wont go into that. Anyways people expect to buy something cheaper but then they get what happend to me, as you send it from another country it will be imported therefor you have to pay import tax, so what i was getting at there would be no point in buying from you if the import tax will be like 40 pounds, as the prices will be just the same .. u get meh now?

I bought psp 1.5 for 110pounds. I then waited 2 weeks to get a mail though my post saying i have to pay 40pounds to get it. If i knew this from the start i would of never bought the item in the 1st place ..

also im kinda interested in buying a pc all built etc, got some cash stored away although not sure, as i really dont wanna go pay import tax (if for a 1kg it was 23quid VAT) think for 4+

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
HunterrrR said:
This is what i was getting at ...

You claim to sell something alot cheap, so therefor more people would buy from you. I have no doughts that you are cheaper as $ is lower than the pounds but we wont go into that. Anyways people expect to buy something cheaper but then they get what happend to me, as you send it from another country it will be imported therefor you have to pay import tax, so what i was getting at there would be no point in buying from you if the import tax will be like 40 pounds, as the prices will be just the same .. u get meh now?

I bought psp 1.5 for 110pounds. I then waited 2 weeks to get a mail though my post saying i have to pay 40pounds to get it. If i knew this from the start i would of never bought the item in the 1st place ..

also im kinda interested in buying a pc all built etc, got some cash stored away although not sure, as i really dont wanna go pay import tax (if for a 1kg it was 23quid VAT) think for 4+
I don't claim, I do. The conversion of USD to GBP has nothing to do with it. Components are just plain cheaper here.

There is no import tax on a gift that costs 28 pounds. I'm not going to explain myself there. Two weeks is too long I do under 7 days, usually under 5.

I don't do pre-built machines because I want NOTHING to do with providing technical support for anything outside of small things in the PC Help part of the forum.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
urbanfox said:
If by "that processor" you mean the 4400+ I just posted, then no, it's going to be gone within 2 days easy. It's a damn good deal, but don't worry, stuff comes up all the time. On occasion I will be able to do hold certain things. For example, that processor above, if you are 100% sure and I mean 100% sure that you want it, but say you'll have the money in a week instead of today then depending on the price of the component I can front the cost and hold it for you. This is on several conditions though. First, like the one I listed above, I have to have the money available to put up the cost upfront. Second, the member needs to be known here and not a 13 year old (no offense) and finally, I need SERIOUS assurance that the buyer has every intention to purchase the CPU by a certain date. ATM I'm holding something for a member here but that's also because the above criteria was met and I felt comfortable.

No problem; and I'm 16 btw =) I sent you a message with my addy for MSN.

[color]Socket AM2 from AMD is about 6-10 weeks away. The only difference between AM2 and 939 (AMD's current socket) is a slightly tweaked memory controller that makes a switch from DDR to DDR2. Is it great and fantastic and awesome! TO put it simply, NO.

I see, then you've convinced me... except if you read below lol. I am seriously considering buying that processor. I could conure up £40 in less than a week with some extra chores for the Asrock. As for the memory, I already have some of that and I'm asuming I can upgrade it and the graphic card later on. *shivers*

Or................. You can go intel. Yes, I said Intel. Their current laptop CPU is called the Core Duo (basically a much better Pentium-M and dual core). It's a KICKASS CPU that if I had the money I would make it my MAIN machine. Only problem is the motherboard is limited and EXPENSIVE. A decent 939 motherboard is roughly 80 pounds. The best 939 motherboards are roughly 130-160 pounds. The Core Duo motherboard is 180 pounds... But, there's an upside.... the CPU's themselves can easily cost under 200 pounds AND they have low heat output and GREAT overclocking potential. A Core Duo setup is the BEST GAMING SETUP right now, PERIOD.

To be honest m8, although I said I game a lot; its mostly restricted to older/classical games like Medal of Honour: Breakthrough and some Battlefield. So perhaps I should stick with the 4400 +Asrock939DSata2 + 1GB Pc3200 mem.

I found it at two places, ebuyer and a place called Micro Direct. I've never heard of Micro Direct, but it seems they're the only ones with the motherboard in stock ATM. It's also EXTREMELY CHEAP for a great board. In fact, I'm going to recommend this board for anyone who's looking to get an 939 board for cheap.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=10165&&source=Dealtime
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=102900&_LOC=UK

The ASRock board is great. I don't remember if the FX5200 is PCI or AGP, but if it's AGP then I'd recommend keeping it until you can get a nice PCI-E card.

[/COLOR][/COLOR]

I don't have paypal, but I could make a bank transfer/credit card payment to your bank account maybe? (paypal requires this whole verification process which takes the piss :/)

If thats ok, we'll talk on MSN.
Turin

ps - my gfx is this:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=123286

which gets me through almost all games on very low settings ><

pps - the import tax is worrying me now =/ errm, anyone give me some reassurance? Spose you can disguise 'em as gifts, they won't look will they?

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Turin said:
I don't have paypal, but I could make a bank transfer/credit card payment to your bank account maybe? (paypal requires this whole verification process which takes the piss :/)

If thats ok, we'll talk on MSN.
Turin

ps - my gfx is this:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=123286

which gets me through almost all games on very low settings ><

pps - the import tax is worrying me now =/ errm, anyone give me some reassurance? Spose you can disguise 'em as gifts, they won't look will they?

For convienence and buyer/seller safety the only payment I'm taking atm is through paypal. If you can use a credit card then you should be able to use paypal with registering a bank account.

Your GFX card is AGP, so it will work in the ASRock mobo.

I use gift wrapping, but I guarantee nothing because I'm not a custom's agent. That's another reason why I prefer to keep it to ram and CPU's (and somewhat GFX cards) because then the package is rediculously small (a cpu carefully packaged with no heatsink can be put in a small padded envelope) so the likelyhood of them opening the package (if they do at all, again, I don't know) would be miniscule.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Wrap it up in very very very waterproof material and drop it in some wine and send it over. We don't get any charge for wine :(

At 17.5% VAT + ImportTax = £50+ for that processor, I'm still buying it though, hoping your plan will work >.<... expensive stuff for a 16yo.

Turin

Avicarno

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 26, 2006
urban i am just wondering if u can get me sum parts to build a cheap computer but is still good. Can u put me sum parts together in a bundle that is cheap and good please.then i only hav to buy the tower :P

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
Avicarno said:
urban i am just wondering if u can get me sum parts to build a cheap computer but is still good. Can u put me sum parts together in a bundle that is cheap and good please.then i only hav to buy the tower :P

Even in a bundle I'm only selling mobo+cpu+ram+gfx, that's it.

You still need a hdd, cdrw/dvdrw, case, powersupply, and cooling for the CPU.

How much do you want to spend and what don you want out of the things I listed (mobo/ram/cpu/gfx).

For a bundle what I basically do is see how much they want to spend, look up what that get's you in the UK (komplett.co.uk, OC UK, etc) and then see if I can put something together for the same price or cheaper that outperforms the same priced bundle in the UK.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Question, would you rather go to a Online Site in the UK and get 1 Years Guarantee if things go wrong, Items arrive in a few days and even a telephone number to ring for support

---or--

Buy from somebody off a Forum to shave a couple of Quid off the price and get a 7 Day RMA, be liable for Import Tax and god knows what else....

Answers on a postcard..