Migrating 2.3 to 2.6+

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Guys,

Just been catching up with some posts on the forum and I have noticed that something that is holding people back from upgrading their servers is the ease of the migration.

Please post your concerns and issues and I will work with Heroes team to come up with a set of steps and tools for migrating your files to a newer set of files (Ruby, Heroes or Other)

Ilsta

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 20, 2012
Is it really worth it for the sake of 1 or 2 long lasting 2.3 servers ? don't get me wrong it would be great to create such a tool if it's easily done and don't take up too much of your time.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Is it really worth it for the sake of 1 or 2 long lasting 2.3 servers ? don't get me wrong it would be great to create such a tool if it's easily done and don't take up too much of your time.

This. Especially people who give nothing to the community/don't really use lomcn.

boothy

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 23, 2007
I think the main reason people aren't using Ruby is because of the web account creation system, unless that's been changed now? Not sure, but yeah... dunno why people use 2.3 over heroes. It would be nice to have a tool that can easily convert 2.3 stuff to heroes/ruby though if it didn't take too long to do, otherwise it's not really worth it as people will still continue to use 2.3 if they prefer it.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
Main 2.3's = P69 and Atlantis? Dont think either would want to swap over, 2.3's are still good files with good features and easily to maintain, but we do advise people to use Heroes/Ruby.

Jesus

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
I tried to setup ruby files before and compared to heroes it was no where near as easy.

Perhaps this is why people still prefer 2.3?

kingdomgm

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 4, 2009
i found ruby is to set up took me like 5 mins follow there guide if you can read ? lol but im thick as and i set them up just not the account side atm as i carnt find the webpages that you need to use to set it up

Jesus

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
i found ruby is to set up took me like 5 mins follow there guide if you can read ? lol but im thick as and i set them up just not the account side atm as i carnt find the webpages that you need to use to set it up

Heroes i change 2 ip's click start on gamecenter and its done,

kingdomgm

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 4, 2009
think people just getting lazy took me all the matter of 5 mins to set the server up dam apart save time to set up 2.3 files

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
think people just getting lazy took me all the matter of 5 mins to set the server up dam apart save time to set up 2.3 files

Obv the files are easy to set up but then you have to make an account maker etc?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

Tbh I agree. Even if it takes half an hour, people would have GLADLY done this a few years ago to get a more awesome set of files running. Once it's done, it's done and you're away. So really I don't get that part nor do I see why it's an "attraction" to the Hero files, personally.

Breezer

Mr Mañana
Legendary
Jul 16, 2004
The ease of setup was a main attaction to me actually, I'm rarely able to spend alot of time while messing around with a set of mir files, but Heroes was extremely easy to setup....Especially since i never intended to host or edit the DB , just the Envir base of the files :)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Indeed but I'm talking about people who genuinely intend on creating & running a server (not many ppl now tbf)

Anyway what they say about the web account creation thing is true though...it's not ideal and definitely stops people from trying the files out.

Last edited:

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
I saw talk about it with p69 back on a thread a while back that they'd probably update their servers to the files if they could port over but that's about it? I don't know of any long time servers that are really up bar that one. So it'd be wasted time imho, on the topic of people who have made 2.3 servers already and can't be arsed to make a new server then tough sh*t to them, servers take work and effort you shouldn't make their lives easier by letting them be lazier it'd just lower the quality of even more servers.

/Zelda

Andreas

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 12, 2008
Timisoara
the truth is that a lot of people avoid using the files cause of the website account creation .
setting them up doesnt differ much from 2.3

p.s kyn , if ur looking to help other projects u should give a hand to mir3 project , heroes has enuff coders and its very stable + mir2 has like 3-4 set of complete files , while mir3 has just one from 2004 if im right :P

Last edited:

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
In regards to transfer from 2.3 to Ruby -

Accounts can be transferred with some manual input onto a spreadsheet, then imported to SQL as passwords are stored i nthe db files within mirserver on 2.3 but all stored in SQL on 2.6.
So no major issue here.

Chars can be transferred just needs a little work with an excel spreadsheet to make sure all columns match before you import into SQL - Fairly straight forward - This has Char level, gold, EXP already gained on current level etc.

Players magic can be transferred too, again just a little rejig with excel.

Players items - Here is where it becomes a little more difficult. First of all StdItems db needs to match on both servers, e.g. if HornRing is IDX 33 on 2.3 it also needs to be 33 on StdItems. Once this matches it's a little easier to do - Apart from the Added stats - The fields are different for both 2.3 and Ruby, so things are a little more difficult here :(