Province Project

Sanity

Legend
Legendary
Nov 7, 2007
I rather have a huge map with high level mobs on then teleporting or running to bloody caves all day. I mean how many sets of mobs could be used on that? Seems pointless to make lv50 cave, lv60 cave and so on when you can add mobs Lv50 to 100 and so on.

How it was done on Soma, hense why PKin was so good because everyone is hunting on the same map.

Ali3n

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 27, 2004
Leicestershire
To follow on from what Sanity was saying, if you actually spend some times on the spawn co-ords, you could put a variaty of 'zones' for mobs, which would be awesome. Plus imagine how good the PvP would be then, with almost everyone hunting on the same map?

I'd be very interested in seeing a server that has 10 or so really really large maps, and every boss is outside. It'd be awesome.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
I rather have a huge map with high level mobs on then teleporting or running to bloody caves all day. I mean how many sets of mobs could be used on that? Seems pointless to make lv50 cave, lv60 cave and so on when you can add mobs Lv50 to 100 and so on.

How it was done on Soma, hense why PKin was so good because everyone is hunting on the same map.

Only problem on mir is mobs tend to wonder so eventually some of the higher level mobs would end up in lower areas, where as on soma they go back to where they spawned.

I like the map, but unless mob ai was coded better it wouldn't work all that well.

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
This map isn't for mob spawns, I've designed it as apart of a project. Obviously as a stand alone map you will think its useless but for the purpose it's built for it isn't.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
played mir since dragon beta think i know what "Mir actually is" :X specially the private server scene

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
Then you'd understand that Mir is meant to have big maps, meant for exploration hence all private servers get boring quickly and end up failing. I cba to argue about the size of the map, if you don't like big maps fair enough but I wont stop making them because people think they are "pointless" or "wasted talent".

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
Only problem on mir is mobs tend to wonder so eventually some of the higher level mobs would end up in lower areas, where as on soma they go back to where they spawned.

I like the map, but unless mob ai was coded better it wouldn't work all that well.

or you could make a map within a map
example you attribute arround the area you want the mobs to stay in then make door co-ords
so looks like you are on the same map kinda hard to explain but i done this a few times

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
why is it when someone with comp skills comes along and MAKES SOMETHING FROM SCRATCH (which might i add most people cant do) he gets critisism from all angles?

Is this a forum to improve mir, build a good community and KEEP IT ALIVE or a flame forum where people get beat down 24/7....

if you dont like big maps then fair enough. Theres a 'back' button on your browser... use that instead of being an asshole.

dont let them demoralise you bud keep up the good work! Hope to see this server up soon :)

Reactions: Tai

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
or you could make a map within a map
example you attribute arround the area you want the mobs to stay in then make door co-ords
so looks like you are on the same map kinda hard to explain but i done this a few times

If he was to do this.. then yes i agree, a large map split into multiple 'zones' causing separate maps is definitely the way forward for people who want to bring the 'running places' back into mir. It stops RT's directly to the caves. Also allows different spawns without the wondering mobs.

Cant be cheese'd to reply to the other comments of haters because i stated a fact. In its current state.. big maps are useless, unless jams suggestion (which i've also done before) is applied.

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
If he was to do this.. then yes i agree, a large map split into multiple 'zones' causing separate maps is definitely the way forward for people who want to bring the 'running places' back into mir. It stops RT's directly to the caves. Also allows different spawns without the wondering mobs.

Cant be cheese'd to reply to the other comments of haters because i stated a fact. In its current state.. big maps are useless, unless jams suggestion (which i've also done before) is applied.

This is an opinion may I add Smavid, i understand you may wish to call it useless but do remember you're calling someone elses work useless along with there time spent. To be fair most people who played low rate servers enjoyed the run between areas as it gave them the mir feel, i remember having to run from BW to oma cave and things like that, then people eventually decided "hey lets give teleports to everywhere" which essentially spoiled the mir community.

It's good to see new maps, regardless of how large because some servers may use them some may not. Either way I see no problem with diversity in map sizes.

As I said previously keep up the good work kizza.

/Czeldabolg

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
Heres the map at the moment. I've redone the main town several times and found that this layout is unqiue and fitted what I wanted. Took several attempts and a few hours so a lot of work has gone into just that unfortuately so I haven't had time to add a lot more to the map. Please no moaning about the map size. We all know its big, if your going to say the map is pointless and wasted talent then atleast back it up with any well thought out critiscism to the map structure and detail. Something that is actually worth picking up on that gives me feedback on how I could improve my future maps.

Thanks..

loll-3.jpg

Last edited:

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
One critism I have at the moment is the castle town on it's own with the walls ending abruptly i believe if that is the original design of it you may want to close them a bit more together otherwise the gap will look to be more.. unfinished in game but I assume it's just an area that you're still working on.

None the less keep it all up and all the best.

/Czeldabolg

Nightrider

~{GoD}~
VIP
Feb 21, 2004
Southampton,Uk
I don't usually reply to posts about development/map making but, this time i shall, Kizza, the map is well extraordinary, I agree with Cze, bring back the mir feel, of running about, Not sure what files this is planning to be used on but Why not add a lake(If 2.6 ruby - Fishing) a desert style part to the map aswel. could also make a kind of "Hill" with snow on it for the frozen mobs.

This map could be used in so many diffrent ways it's great.

Very nice work
-Dan

Foopah

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 7, 2011
Livingston
Looks like its coming together nicely.

My suggestion is the area directly south of the walled town area (next to the sea) could be wet-lands, like a swamp kind of area with little ponds of water and rocks. In my head it would look good and work cos of the sea being so close to it. :P

Tyraes

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 16, 2007
One critism I have at the moment is the castle town on it's own with the walls ending abruptly i believe if that is the original design of it you may want to close them a bit more together otherwise the gap will look to be more.. unfinished in game but I assume it's just an area that you're still working on.

None the less keep it all up and all the best.

/Czeldabolg

I understand you seeing it like that because it does look strange. Once you see the image ingame with all the buildings and NPC's you'll see why I made the walls like this. I might even edit them slightly depending on how I feel.

I don't usually reply to posts about development/map making but, this time i shall, Kizza, the map is well extraordinary, I agree with Cze, bring back the mir feel, of running about, Not sure what files this is planning to be used on but Why not add a lake(If 2.6 ruby - Fishing) a desert style part to the map aswel. could also make a kind of "Hill" with snow on it for the frozen mobs.

This map could be used in so many diffrent ways it's great.

Very nice work
-Dan

Adding a lake with fishing spots would be a nice idea. Regarding the desert and snow. This isn't going to be the only map in my project, that is all I am saying ;D. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Looks like its coming together nicely.

My suggestion is the area directly south of the walled town area (next to the sea) could be wet-lands, like a swamp kind of area with little ponds of water and rocks. In my head it would look good and work cos of the sea being so close to it. :P

Again, thats a nice idea. I'll look at the files I have and see if I can implement your idea into my other maps.

Thanks guys.

---------- Post added 30-09-2011 at 02:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 29-09-2011 at 03:08 PM ----------

Update on map, near enough finished. Just need to add details to the sandy parts on the map and obviously add to the town and some of the forest. I redesigned the layout of the town also.

loll-4.jpg

Holmez

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 7, 2010
Thats top quality work.. would be a good high level map =]

oO~Unknown~Oo

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Dec 4, 2007
UK
been following this thread since you've posted and i gotta say dont listen to anyone (not even me :p) just do as you please, the map is coming along nicely gj.

czeldabolg

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Sep 12, 2005
Staffordshire, UK
Looks much nicer now dude, keep it up. Hoping to see more maps are you creating a server for this or do you just plan to release your map pack?

/Czeldabolg