Best MMO atm on pc?

Join Discord

Jicaa

Pooslice
Golden Oldie
Jul 9, 2003
I'm going to give WoW classic a go, but I know with my lack of time to play games anymore I won't enjoy it. The leveling is stupidly slow, and I'm sure a lot of people will end up in the same situation as me, stopping before getting past level 30.

I for one just went back on retail to unlock flying, and I am currently enjoying it. However that probably won't last either.

As others have mentioned, FFXIV is a great game with a deep story line. I can't bring myself to play it though as I burnt myself out playing it too much at one point.

Reactions: Swoosh

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
Classic wow is out in like 4 weeks so I might give that a bash

Serious question, why on earth would you? It is quite literally a copy/paste of version one. With no attempt to even contemplate fixing the plethora of bugs and issues it launched with initially. (they even tried to promote this like it's a good thing???)

It is nothing more than a last-ditch attempt for them to siphon cash from the few remaining fans of the franchise.

I'll just quote my post from elsewhere on the subject.

I tried a vanilla private server a few years ago. It was awesome, all the nostalgia one would expect... for a couple of hours at least.

Then came the real grind, and messing around with friends could no longer mask the tedious travel, buggy zones, clunky skills/combat, etc, all how it was in vanilla. I gave up after the 3rd or 4th time we had to do the 15minuite (no joke it is 15 minutes running from the nearest graveyard, as a ghost) corpse run through Darkshore(?).

You would have to be a masochist to even contemplate it at this point. And severely deluded to think it will actually be any good.
And the kicker is, you will have to pay for the pleasure. Tho I guess some people also pay women to stamp on their bits, so yeah...

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Always amazes me how many MMO's have been and gone and are still out there, Laghaim, FF one, and loads never heard of. Main ones i've known about are literally Mir 2, WoW, GW2, Lineage, Tera + Runescape ha - I'll admit, bar Mir 2, never been able to get hooked on any other MMO's, WoW a little, love the size of it and cartoony but cool graphics and classes but so much info in it compared to Mir 2, I could never spend enough time on it.
Its why im set in my ways now and only play mir otherwise its Console all the way. There a decent MMO style game on console? Ps4?

FF is available on PS4, cross platform. It's actually why I chose it as I find playing on the sofa much more relaxing than sitting in front of the pc.

As for Mir I have to disagree with most of you. I don't personally like playing it solo. It's a mentality a lot of players seem to have go into though. I think the reason I played Apoc for so long was due to running the guild and the fact it was such a populated server. Without that I wouldn't have played.

Reactions: PoPcOrN and Swoosh

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
FF is available on PS4, cross platform. It's actually why I chose it as I find playing on the sofa much more relaxing than sitting in front of the pc.

As for Mir I have to disagree with most of you. I don't personally like playing it solo. It's a mentality a lot of players seem to have go into though. I think the reason I played Apoc for so long was due to running the guild and the fact it was such a populated server. Without that I wouldn't have played.

Nah im with you on that bud, if no friends or active guildys playing I lose interest in Mir very quickly. And yet i think i could play a MMO style on Ps4 solo easier because as you say, its more relaxing style, not hooked up to a pc/desk. ;)

Maybe I should check out FF4 on Ps4.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014

It's not really 'like playing it solo'
And probably the reason why I lose interest after a week. A combination of isolation and no real incentive to continue (lack of content/goals)

Probably why I haven't really played any games besides PoE/Rust properly for years. (I can log on for 30 mins and kill stuff, whenever I like, no inherent time commitment) I just don't have any interest in dealing with moronic drama. Of which Mir seems to attract plenty, especially on the smaller servers.

My WoW days, as 1/5, organizing a competitive 40+man raid group for 8(?)years literally scared me or life. I could never do it again.

--

I didn't play Apoc for more than 2 days, or Zircon, but that's a different story.

Reverance

Final Heaven
Supporter
Veteran
May 25, 2013
Scotland
WoW Classic is definitely my next go to.

I was a big fan of the Vanilla grind and honestly hated that they removed it in subsequent expansions (Notably Cata onwards).

I tried to get in FF14 and a combination of things threw me off from it.

Played in an FC where I knew 1 person.
Did everything solo (Long dungeon queues as a DPS)
Stupid forced pre expansion quest lines to get into the first expansion.

Reactions: PoPcOrN

Swoosh

Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Jan 24, 2017
London
Anyone play Elder Scrolls: Elsweyr? Never played any of the original offline ones, always thought they looked abit naff. But that does look quite good - just curious if i'd be abit lost as a casual, not knowing the back storys etc.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury

Will you be giving wow classic a go @Tai ? Start a guild for us lomcn bum boys And see what we can do.

Emzie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 18, 2009
Never played WoW lol it doesn't appeal to me

I was like that and thought it had no appeal whatsoever... then probably 99% of m8's online played it so pretty much had to give it a try and was like fk this is awesome.
Barrens/Tarren Mill world pvp was easily on par with PVP on mir funwise. Never thought i'd get that feeling back again.. especially on a game that I thought looked ****.

PoPcOrN

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 9, 2006
shrewsbury
I was like that and thought it had no appeal whatsoever... then probably 99% of m8's online played it so pretty much had to give it a try and was like fk this is awesome.
Barrens/Tarren Mill world pvp was easily on par with PVP on mir funwise. Never thought i'd get that feeling back again.. especially on a game that I thought looked ****.

I remember someone bringing out a private server for WoW with open world pvp death drops. No idea if it was good though.

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
World PvP in WoW consisted of nothing more than max levels camping people trying to level in questing zones, then running away when another max level came along. (funnily enough, that's pretty much how it works in most games)

From all the years I played only twice was it actually fun, and that was invading the horde cities with hundreds of people.
Even the PvP BG's were completely imbalanced. I'd just go in full tank gear and laugh out-healing everything. Not challenging or fun.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
BDO quite popular it seems? but requires so much effort!

I won't go near WoW... just can't get into it.

still waiting for the next best thing though...

Chalace

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 18, 2014
BDO quite popular it seems? but requires so much effort!

I won't go near WoW... just can't get into it.

still waiting for the next best thing though...

I've posted about BDO a few times. It was a great game when I played. (I stopped just before the desert expansion)
Looks absolutely amazing, great combat(tho can get repetitive) and enough content to keep you going for months on end (If you're into the whole profession thing).

If they have fixed the hacker problem, which is the main issue it had, then definitely give it a go. (And join a guild)
(Hackers flying around wiping out groups of 50+ players doing bosses, etc, wasn't fun)

It used to be sub based on top of the initial purchase when I played (unless I remember wrong), tho seems that's no longer the case.