The Legend of ̶ M̶i̶r̶ Fishing [Custom Crystal]

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
Join Discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
Bullshit is fishing good for exp, typical nub behaviour from piff tho, trash player. How is being afk and gaining exp from stupid fish a good thing? Change your name to Legend of Mir AFK. This honestly sounds even more drab than your previous serv. Goodluck with it though...

---------- Post Merged at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Sad to see so much focus on stupid fishing crap, honestly whats fun about it? Stupidest thing ever added to mir.

You have posted 3 times... were your other 2 posts just as brain farty?

If you don't wanna play - don't play.

Also the fishing is not AFK.

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
P.s. I think his fishing code has been changed meaning you need to actually be at your keyboard to land the fish.

Was never really AFK, just semi AFK, lasted only till you needed to load new bait (you just needed to switch on mouse lock). Also last time I did some 'serious' fishing, don't recall which server, it had worrier mobs spawning that had the potential to kill even higher levels and you wanted to kill them anyway since they could drop good items. You could watch tv and eat etc but needed to be near or sitting at the keyboard anyway.

Fishing here looks nice but proof is in the pudding, as they say. That is in practice in actual playing, not in some beta testing. IMPractice, fishing always ended with pitfalls, like you were pulling too many kinds of fish/items from the water and they didn't stack enough, filling up your bag/storage with not too good items yet not so bad to warrant chucking out (fish acting as pots or sold for profit).

Typically fishing was only OK at early levels and became mostly pointless as you got higher level and rich in gold so the profit from fishing became meaningless, same as pot cost becomes meaningless on just about any server before long. If you get crafting ingredients from fishing, then you are definitely going to struggle with storage space since there is always some ingredient you don't have and which you hope to get one day and so you don't chuck out those you have... and of course you never get that missing one or two ingredients and or if you do, you find the crafted items are mediocre for your current level and position in game you gained in meantime.

Besides that, you invariably find that while you fished, others diligently leveled and left you behind, and getting exp points while fishing might alleviate that somewhat but can't be made too high if you are to have those other benefits from fishing. Bottom line is, it is nice in itself this fishing improvement but overall its success will always depend on those non-fishing factors I mentioned. A lot depends on server 'rate', needs to be low rate but really needs to be 'SIM Mir', kind of like what Chalace here seems to be working on. Perhaps you should pool your efforts? I don't mean it seriously, just and idea to plant in the back your mind, something to think about if either of your first live server doesn't quite pan out? It always pains me when server goes offline and with it all its good points it had.

Violent

Drinker Of Tea
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I honestly don't see a problem with AFK fishing. As long as everyone has the ability to do it and there is no huge advantage to it. A lot of games these days have some sort of AFK feature. BDO is a prime example of this. Also about 80% of mobile games utilise AFK features. It's what actually brings people back to the game and takes the "chores" out allowing you to progress with the more fun aspects of the game.

zedina

Mir3 Dev
Legendary
Dec 22, 2005
Cant wait to see this server online :cat:

Also... lots of players are scared of "the new" but when they play for 2-3 months on a server, try hard, and later ask for new content.. hows that?

I think this server, once goes online, will push others to be more creative too :)

awesome

Microsoft
Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
Sanjian can you create a step by step how to play the game fishing

some sort of guide on how to play successfully in steps with descriptions of all the best possible series of moves to make to win as much as possible rewards like exp gold etc.

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
I was never expecting everyone to like the idea of a fishing server lol it even sounds crazy in my mind.

But originally i wanted to make a fishing mmo. I was a huge fan of Fishing Champ untill it died.

A few things to note.

You cannot AFK fish as you have to left click your mouse to strike when you get a bite, and because the bite isnt a static 10 seconds after casting you cant macro it, there are alot of variables that go into deciding alot of things with the fishing.

I am using 90% Shanda province maps and 90% WeMade dungeon maps with some shanda dungeons and some wemade provinces, so with that being said BP has a small river running through the safezone so you can just sit in sz and fish if you like. The problem comes in that its a small river so you cant pump out huge exp because you wont catch huge fish.... (to begin with at least)

A basic step by step to fishing:

1: Decide on a spot (Salt Water or Fresh Water) Equip the appropriate rod.
2: Have Line, Float, Hook and plenty of Bait (Dig it up, buy crap npc bait or go hunting and get it from mobs)
3: Cast.
4: Strike when you have a bite.
5: Micro manage your Stamina/Tension/and Distance the fish is away from you untill its close enough to land.
6: Get exp based on the size of your fish.
7: Repeat steps 1-6.

The crafting is basic ill be honest. I could make it very complex but i dont want a massive complex crafting system. You just need to gather the materials to create what you need. There is no 2nd inventory and no extended storage (guilds do have storage tho). So you will have to manage your gear carefully. Fish don't stack. For the better part of the game you will be selling most fish but i will be adding in Cooking Fish to turn into buff type food for either fishing or hunting.

My current time is being spent on just finalising the river fishing drops and adding more quests untill each province is covered and all dungeons have quests added. then little tweaks and more crafting items.

I will do a beta but it will be open and i just want people to try and break as much as they can to see where ive gone wrong.

Please remember i didnt make this server for anyone else but myself. So if you dont like it, i dont really care lol. Go play something else. But i am more than happy for everyone to play on something ive made and if you enjoy it, then im happy.

What has supprised me is how no one has moaned that there is no wizard or taoist...

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Never caught an Eel... Was it in a river or a lake?
The river I fish has them, but not managed to find any as of yet!

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
There is no 2nd inventory and no extended storage (guilds do have storage tho). So you will have to manage your gear carefully. Fish don't stack. For the better part of the game you will be selling most fish but i will be adding in Cooking Fish to turn into buff type food for either fishing or hunting.

Hope you have some good reason being skimpy on storage although can't fathom what that reason could be. I like scarcity of everything when starting out and bit by bit overcoming it, be it gold, storage, items, whatever. But it impoverishes the game when you automatically get at the start all you are ever going to have, like the amount of storage here. That said, storage is not treated that great on an average server out there since they all keep the base files default cost to buy/rent additional bag/storage space, usually the same for obtaining a mount, like they had no imagination.

What has surprised me is how no one has moaned that there is no wizard or taoist...

Maybe because everybody skipped to the fishing parts on the server description like I did? :abnormal:

I actually like the idea now that I went back to read it again. In fact I was idly thinking of pure warrior only, that is, single class server. Then nobody would complain about class balance :sneakiness: in pvp.
Warrior could be given some skills from wiz tao sin classes to have more of them, also could be allowed to have pet(s) gained in some 'warrior style' and fitting with that class. There was a thread a while back discussing what skills could be passed to or adapted to warrior class.

Sanjian

Just a Mir2 Fan
VIP
Apr 28, 2011
East Sussex
reason for being skimpy on storage space...

Its going back to classic styles where you had to manage what you collect/keep. Body Weight becoming important so you cant just wear all the best gear because you can. i liked the fact you had to wear a candle just to equip a weapon that your level said you could (might have been a mace at 30, cant remember exactly)

One inventory and one 80 slot storage is ample space for a single player. Guild storage is available but its shared.

Most items will be smashed on gems (no orbs except durability orbs exist on the server) most other items will be broken down into either crafting materials which do stack. or shards for making gems to smash items on.

There are a lot of things that i have done that will put a lot of people off. but again im not trying to please people. im just making a server that resembles euro in content because i liked euro and i like low rate servers.

I also want to make a HARD server. one thats hard to play, hard to level, hard to get good gear. But its not just the grinders that benefit, there is a degree of luck that any player from casual to hardcore can obtain decent kit and gems. and a degree of luck getting good added stats in drops or via gemming.

Pots dont stack and there are bundles back into the game, IMO stacking posts means hunts last longer but its all about whoevers bought the most pots in a fight, im hoping ive balanced the drops well enough that you can go on a hunt with a few bundles but replace them during the hunt that dwindles down over time so you have to go back to town to repot and repair.

Time will tell during testing on that.

The only skill change has been to poison for the classes and the introduction of corruption for warriors. (apart from damage calculations and an overhaul on graphics for the spells)

There are no pets, no healing class, no support class, although you could argue the archer will be a nice addition to a group but will be a bitch to solo level, as intended. its not really a support class. Ive stripped a lot of the archers skills away, namely all its summons except vampire spider. You will have to manage CC and range and risk vs reward when taking on groups.

At the time of writing this there is no trust merchant either. Players can trade and sell between themselves.

IF there are enough players to warrant a TM i may consider it but at this time a TM for 10 people is just more storage space for them.

Mail system is in game but not sending parcels. its an offline pm system if you like.

I am open to suggestions from players but ill be brutally honest, i probably wont implement it unless its a decent suggestion that 99% of the playing population want. (i will be part of the population)

---------- Post Merged at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:52 PM ----------

oh additional, there are no sunpots, the only instant heal comes from ginsengs which are rare-ish

mir2pion

TL;DR
Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
a HARD server. one thats hard to play, hard to level, hard to get good gear.

Thanks so much for in depth answers. That's something like a server I dream someone would make, not being myself up to putting together one, not yet anyway. As I read about your list of limitations, I thought 'six pack bundles' and bang you mention them too :witless:

I think servers that left item carry stats at default setting still have that dilemma about equipping helmet and being forced back to candle etc. Its just that high rates (and that's about all servers) remove pretty well all limits or set them so high you don't run into them, or at least not so your 'game' would suffer in significant ways.

You shouldn't be able to kill cats at level 1 (or is it 0?) when you start out, I'd like to see back the challenge of starting in 2001, this time around of course with steeper difficulty since players skills are much higher these days.

I like best the idea of you playing the server yourself as you get the best feedback that way. I doubt anybody has skills to make balanced server just theoretically or by beta testing. You never know till you play, that is also eat what you cooked. :ghost:

Last edited:

jaffar91

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 10, 2011
Really liking this server advert so far Sanjian. I think its something I'd happily be able to play casual as I don't have time to grind anymore (too busy adulting these days).

I can't remember the last server I played with 6 pot bundles and to be honest I missed that. I didn't enjoy hunts where I had 50 hp pots stacked and hundreds of mp pots stacked in key 1 and 2. It took the enjoyment out of the server as it was much less challenging.

Liking the bag weight suggestion to - It was always a good feeling when you got that extra 1 body weight after levelling so you could finally put on that weight 2 Dragon Brace brace or weight 10 BIH (or 20? cant remember!)

Glad your sticking to your guns on what you intend to make and not letting the majority who probably won't even play dictate what content goes in.

I think the main challenge is going to be balancing the drop rates against the potential user count - given all the gemming. I was always a sucker for gemming when I got a bit bored lol

p.s - some ingame screenshots when you can would be cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.